Fixing an off-track garage door isn’t merely about the aesthetics; it’s essential for safety and functionality. In this guide, we will walk you through the steps and precautions to take when rectifying this issue.
Why Does a Garage Door Go Off Track?
There are various reasons, from a car accidentally hitting the door to broken springs. Often, the root cause is wear and tear, or a blockage in the tracks. If left unchecked, this can lead to costly repairs, or worse, a complete replacement of your garage door.
Steps to Fix an Off-Track Garage Door
Before starting, ensure that the garage door is in a closed position. If it’s open and off track, it’s safer to contact a professional due to the risk of the door falling.
- Disconnect the Opener: This ensures the door doesn’t move while you’re working on it. Most garage door openers have a disconnect switch or cord.
- Inspect the Tracks: Look for signs of damage, including bends or gaps. Also, check if there’s any obstruction, like stones or debris.
- Loosen the Tracks: With a wrench, slightly loosen, but don’t fully remove, the bolts holding the tracks.
- Realign the Door: With rubber mallets, gently tap the door back into its track. Make sure it’s straight and level.
- Tighten the Tracks: Once the door is realigned, tighten the bolts on the tracks.
- Test the Door: Reconnect the garage door opener and test. The door should move smoothly.
Table: Potential Issues and Solutions for an Off-Track Door
|Bent or Broken Track||Replace or straighten track. If unsure, consider professional help.|
|Blockage in the Track||Remove the obstruction. Clean the tracks regularly to avoid future issues.|
|Broken Spring||Springs hold a lot of tension. Replace the spring or contact a professional.|
|Damaged Roller||Replace the roller. A damaged wheel can cause the door to fall off track.|
|Garage Door Opener Issue||Check the opener for any malfunctions. It might be time to change it.|
Need a Garage Door Repair Comapny?
Our team at Tomy’s Garage Door boasts years of experience in handling garage door issues. We prioritize safety, efficiency, and ensure a seamless service experience for our customers. Additionally, we continually update our knowledge and techniques, ensuring top-notch service quality.
Our Main Service Areas
- Track Adjustment and Replacement
- Garage Door Opener Repair
- Spring Replacement
- Sensor Calibration and Repair
- Emergency Services and more
Learn more about our full range of services here.
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I do if my garage door springs are broken?
Broken springs can be dangerous due to the tension they hold. It’s advisable to replace them immediately and avoid operating the door until then. If unsure, seek professional assistance.
How often should I service my garage door?
Regular maintenance every 6-12 months is ideal. However, if you notice any issues like strange noises, it’s good to get it checked sooner.
Can I replace just one panel of my garage door?
Yes, you can. But, ensure the replacement panel matches the rest in terms of design, color, and brand. If many panels are damaged, consider replacing the entire door.
Is it possible to install a new garage door on old tracks?
It’s technically possible, but not recommended. Old tracks might not fit the new door perfectly. Learn more here.
Fixing an off-track garage door can seem daunting, but with the right tools and guidance, it’s achievable. Remember, the key is to address the issue promptly to avoid further complications. If you’re facing challenges or feel it’s beyond a DIY fix, don’t hesitate. Contact us for professional and efficient service. Your garage door’s longevity and safety are paramount to us.